Election Protection · You Have the Right to Vote

Working 365 days to advance and defend your right to vote
En Español

Get Support Now


In Your State

Michigan Election Information

Upcoming Elections in Your State

2017 General Election: November 7, 2017

Voter Registration Deadline: Tuesday, October 10, 2017

For more information, visit the Michigan Secretary of State’s website and Michigan's Election Calendar.

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!

When You Can Vote

Election Day:

Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. Counties in the Eastern time zone will open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m. eastern time. Gogebic, Iron, Dickinson, and Menominee counties may operate on either central time or eastern time.

Michigan does not have early voting.

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!

Where You Can Vote

How to Find Your Polling Place:  Visit the Michigan Secretary of State’s polling place locator web page.

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!

Registering to Vote

Registration Deadlines:  You must register 30 days prior to the General Election.  The deadline for this year’s General Election is Tuesday, October 10, 2017.

How to Check Your Registration: Use Michigan’s Voter Center website or call 866-OUR-VOTE.

Registration Eligibility: In order to be eligible to register to vote in Michigan, you must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States;
  • Be a resident of Michigan;
  • Be at least 18 years old by Election Day;
  • Be a resident of the city or township where you are applying to register to vote; and
  • Not be serving a sentence in jail or prison.

How to Register:  Michigan residents may register in person, by mail or by fax.

By Mail

In order to register to vote by mail, you must obtain a mail-in registration form by:

In Person

You may register to vote in person by:

Identification Required for Registration:

Voters who are registering to vote for the first time and registering by mail must submit with the application a photocopy of:

  • A current and valid government-issued photo identification; or
  • A paycheck stub, utility bill, bank statement, or government document which lists the voter’s name and address

Voters do not have to comply with this identification requirement if:

  • Registering to vote in person;
  • The voter is disabled; or

The voter is eligible to vote by an overseas absentee ballot.

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!

Voting Early & by Absentee Ballot

If You Want to Vote Early

Unlike some other states, Michigan does not have early voting. Qualified voters may, however, cast absentee ballots prior to Election Day.

If You Want to Vote Absentee

A voter may cast an absentee ballot if he or she is:

  • age 60 years old or older;
  • unable to vote without assistance at the polls;
  • expecting to be out of town on election day;
  • in jail awaiting arraignment or trial;
  • unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons; or
  • appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside of your precinct of residence

A person who registers to vote by mail must vote in person in the first election in which he or she participates. The restriction does not apply to overseas voters, voters who are disabled or voters who are 60 years of age or older.

Rules and Deadlines:

  • Requests to have an absentee ballot mailed to a voter must be received by your local city or township clerk’s office no later than 2 p.m. on November 4, 2017.
  • If an emergency, such as a sudden illness or family death prevents you from reaching the polls on Election Day, you may request an emergency absent voter ballot. Requests for an emergency ballot must be submitted after the deadline for regular absent voter ballots has passed but before 4 p.m. on November 7, 2017, the date of the General Election.
  • Absentee ballots must be received by the clerk’s office by 8:00 p.m. on November 7, 2017, the date of the General Election. 

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!

Identification Requirements

Identification Requirements to Cast a Ballot

In order to vote in Michigan, every registered voter voting in person must show a valid form of photo ID or sign an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of a photo ID (which you may sign even if you have a photo ID, but did not bring it with you to the polls). Your address does not need to be included on the photo ID.

Valid forms of photo ID include:

  • Driver’s license or personal ID card issued by Michigan;
  • Driver’s license or personal ID card issued by another state;
  • Federal or state government-issued photo ID;
  • U.S. passport;
  • Military ID with photo;
  • Student ID with photo from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education; and
  • Tribal ID with photo.

If you did not provide the identification required to register to vote at the time of registration, you must also bring that identification when you go to cast your ballot. If you do not have a valid form of photo ID, you may still cast a ballot by signing an affidavit confirming your identity.  The ballot will be counted with all other ballots on Election Day (even though it may be prepared as a “challenged” ballot if there is good reason to suspect the voter is not qualified and registered in the voting precinct).

VoteRiders has created Michigan voter ID info cards in English and in Spanish.

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!

If You Have Moved Within Your State

Moving within the Same County

If you moved within a city or township, or if you moved to a different city or township after October 10, 2017, but haven’t updated your address, you can vote at your old polling location. The election official will process your change of address there.

Moving Between Counties

You may vote in your old precinct one last time and must complete an affidavit attesting that you have moved.  At the precinct, an election official will ask you to complete a cancellation authorization form before you are issued a ballot.  If you moved to a different city more than 60 days before Election Day and didn’t re-register, you cannot vote in the General Election.

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!

If You Are in the Military or Are an Overseas Voter

Registering and Requesting an Absentee Ballot

Special services are provided to assist military and overseas civilian voters participate in elections.  If voter is a military or overseas civilian voter who is eligible to vote in Michigan, please visit the Michigan Secretary of State’s website (http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1633-238835--,00.html) and follow the instructions for the appropriate scenario.

Receiving an Absentee Ballot

Military and other overseas citizens (UOCAVA voters) can use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to register to vote and to request an absentee ballot.  Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program's (FVAP) Michigan-specific website.

Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot

The Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) is a back-up ballot that can be used by UOCAVA voters.  You can use this FWAB whether you are located inside or outside the United States (including APO and FPO addresses), provided that you are away from your voting residence for service-related activities.  You must apply for a regular ballot early enough for your local election officials to receive the request at least 5 days before the election.  If you do not receive your regular ballot in time, you may use the FWAB.  Your FWAB must be received by your local voting officials in Michigan no later than 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.  For specific instructions, visit the FVAP’s Michigan-specific FWAB page.

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!

If You Have a Felony Conviction

Any person convicted of a crime in a court of Michigan, another state or in a federal court who has been lawfully released from prison has the right to vote. A person who was a qualified and registered voter prior to conviction should not have to re-register upon release from prison (but should make sure their voter address is updated).

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!

Election Protection Materials


Top Issues to Field

For more information for voters with disabilities, find a National Disability Rights Network partner in your area.

For more information for student voters, visit the Student Voting Guide from the Brennan Center for Justice.

Have questions or need more information? Call 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)!